Founded in 1917, Ernest W. Smith built a small family business that focused on servicing the community and putting the customer first. In 1930, his son Edgar Smith purchased the agency on 336 Poplar St. in Wyandotte. Edgar remained president until 1967, and the agency expanded to Biddle Ave. before building its current headquarters at 1717 Fort Street in Wyandotte.
Over the next several decades, E.W. Smith expanded to Flat Rock in 1976, and added another location in Shelby Township in 1989.
Specializing in auto, home, business and life insurance, they helped each customer find the best coverage while reducing costs. They partnered with neighbors and local business owners to protect their families and community.
Over the last 100 years, E.W. Smith has grown into one of the largest independent agencies in Southeast Michigan with more than 60 agents and employees. After a century in business, their mission remains to offer a personal approach to insurance where every customer has a dedicated agent.
The group is proud to represent some of the largest and most trusted insurance companies including: Auto-Owners, Citizens, Frankenmuth, Grange, Progressive, The Hartford, and Nationwide, among others. They compare these highly-rated companies in order to present their customers with a comprehensive insurance plan at the most competitive price.